Starting a restaurant business begins with registering your F&B establishment with Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia (SSM). After obtaining your general business licence from SSM to operate a business in Malaysia, you’ll need to take care of the required licences specific to your industry and nature of business.

Here are some of the required licences common associated with running an F&B establishment:

Signboard License:

  • standard size of signboard is 20m (W) x 4m (H)
  • Bahasa Melayu translation required on signboard
  • signboard must not cover any windows
  • advisable to apply both business premise and signboard license together
  • take note of renewal date

Alcohol Licence:

  • Class 1 Public Houses – Hotel Restaurant, Café, Lounge Bar, Pub, Entertainment Centre, Club House
  • Class 2 Public House – Cofee House
  • Class 3 Public House – Cofee House

The location of your establishment (Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Johor Bahru, Penang, for example) will determine which Dewan Bandaraya (city council) you will approach to make the application for Signboard, Premise and Alcohol, and what local laws and regulations govern these specific licenses.

Halal Licence:

  • issued by JAKIM (Jabatan Kemajuan Islam Malaysia), the only Halal certification recognized in Malaysia
  • online application
  • required documents include:
      • A copy of company’s registration certificate
      • Copy of operative license from local authority
      • A copy of company’s financial statements
      • Copy of the identification card (IC) of 2 permanent Muslim employees (Malaysian citizen) and their letter of appointment
      • A copy of import permits for imported animal-based raw materials.
      • Copies of halal certification for individual ingredients used.
      • Location/map of the operating premises
      • Samples of labels for the products that will be verified Halal


  • required for any public premises that air music recordings
  • Music Rights Malaysia Berhad (MRM) established by the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (MyIPO) to carry out collective music licence issuance and fee collection for MACP, PPM, RPM & PRISM beginning 1st January 2017

Wholesale & Retail Trade (WRT) Licence:

  • required for a restaurant business with foreign shareholding
  • required for applying relevant professional work permits
  • WRT license is only granted for restaurants with unique concept and a minimum space of 1,500 sq. ft.
  • minimum paid-up capital requirement for all categories of WRT license application is RM1 million


Contact us for a free consultation now to open a new restaurant in Malaysia.